ON SATURDAY 22 APRIL, BBC RADIO 3 PRESENTS MAX RICHTER LIVE: EARTH DAY 2023 AT THE ECOLOGY PAVILION IN MILE END PARK, LONDON, UK
Saturday 22 April, 2:30pm – 4:00 pm, and broadcast on BBC Radio 3 at 6:30pm on the same day, and on EBU Radio Stations*
17 APRIL 2023 (TORONTO, ON) — Inspired by Sir David Attenborough’s landmark natural history series Wild Isles, which has entertained millions of viewers on BBC One and iPlayer this spring, Richter will perform Recomposed** based on Vivaldi’s Four Seasons in a special live concert at London’s Ecology Pavilion in Mile End Park which will also be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 and BBC Sounds to mark Earth Day. Max Richter will be joined by Chineke! Orchestra and former Radio 3 New Generation Artist and acclaimed violinist, Elena Urioste.
Presented by Linton Stephens, Max Richter Live includes Recomposed, Infra and On the Nature of Daylight. BBC Radio 3 has collaborated with Universal for this concert, and it will be performed for local London attendees from 2:30pm – 4:00pm. The concert will then be broadcast later in the evening from 6:30pm on BBC Radio 3. For listeners living outside the UK, the performance will also be broadcast by radio stations from Europe and beyond as part of BBC Radio 3’s partnership with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU).
The concert will be followed by a special BBC Radio 3 Earth Day Mindful Mix hosted by Max Richter, with both available to listen to on BBC Sounds.
Max Richter said: “Creative work can be about building and activating communities, and the climate emergency presents us with a challenge we can only overcome by collective action across political and social divisions. Music offers us ways to encounter other minds and to experience other points of view in very direct ways, and we will need this kind of collective understanding if we are to meet the existential questions which face us. Recomposed, with its origins in the natural rhythms of the Seasons that frame our lives, reminds us that the things we are fighting for are beyond opinions and political ideologies: they form the very basis of our existence. We belong to them, and they belong to us all equally.”
Full details in the BBC press release here
*So far, the following EBU Stations / territories have signed up for live or deferred broadcast:
- Ràdio i Televisió d’Andorra, Andorra la Vella (TX 29/04/2023)
- Vlaamse Radio en Televisieomroep, Brussels (TX 22/05/2023)
- Rádio Cultura Brasil, São Paulo (TX 05/06/2023)
- Balgarsko Nationalno Radio, Sofia (TX 24/04/2023)
- ICI Musique, Société Radio-Canada, Montréal (TX 05/06/2023)
- CBC, Toronto (will broadcast on the eve of the World Environment Day on 4 June)
- Eesti Rahvusringhaalin (Estonian Public Broadcasting), Tallinn (live)
- Hessischer Rundfunk, Frankfurt (live)
- Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk, Halle (live)
- Saarländischer Rundfunk, Saarbrücken (TX 22/04/2023)
- Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation, Athens (live)
- Bartók Rádió, Budapest (TX 22/04/2023)
- Rikisutvarpid (Icelandic National Broadcasting Service), Reykjavik
- RTÉ lyric fm, Limerick (TX 22/04/2023)
- RAI Radio 3 - Radiotelevisione Italiana, Rome (TX 22/04/2023)
- Korean Broadcasting System, Seoul
- Latvijas Radio, Riga (live)
- Lietuvos Radijas ir Televizija – Radio, Vilnius (live)
- Radio e Televisao de Portugal, Lisbon
- Societatea Romana de Radiodifuziune, Bucharest (live)
- Catalunya Música, Barcelona
- Radiotelevisión Española , Madrid
- Radio Télévision Suisse, Lausanne (TX 24/04/2023)
- Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen, Basel (TX 23/04/2023)
**Recomposed: The New Four Seasons was released on Deutsche Grammophon in 2022.